Welcome to CMRS!
The Centre for Medieval & Renaissance Studies was founded in 1975 by Drs John and Sandy Feneley: first, to establish in Oxford a permanent institute for the interdisciplinary study of the medieval, Renaissance and early modern periods; second, to provide an academic training for overseas students who wish to complete part of their education in Oxford but are not matriculated members of the University.
Why choose CMRS for study abroad?
Over the last 36 years our programme has built up a number of unique advantages:
- a first-rate academic programme which gives students a genuine experience of Oxford tutors and lecturers and the traditional Oxford one-to-one tutorial, but which is carefully designed to serve the needs and requirements of students at US colleges and universities
- a superbly located building right in the centre of Oxford which has all the facilities to be a home-from-home as well as a centre of intellectual endeavour and a base for exploring the university, city and beyond.
- an excellent library of some 20000 volumes dedicated to CMRS students' needs, and access to Oxford's remarkable, huge network of libraries
- a uniquely close relationship with Keble College, one of Oxford's largest and friendliest colleges, where CMRS students can use the full range of social and academic facilities
- close links with a network of US colleges and universities, especially in the
- remarkably good value for money
We have something like 4100 alumni, so you don't just have to take our word for it, see what some of them have to say.
Applying to CMRS
Full details of applying for the CMRS semester programme, including application and reference forms are on our How do I apply? page. Faculty interested in the various summer opportunities should go to the Research section.
We hope that you will find everything you need on this website. If you have any further questions, please contact us.